Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Clicker Training

A colleague I work with called me today and asked if I wanted to go to "Clicker Training" with her at the end of the month. First thing that came to mind was the clicker training I did with Pawky (dog) a few years ago. I instantly imagined clicking a hand held remote and having my students answering questions, speaking and sitting when I wanted them to...a Pavlovian dream! I was close...apparently each student receives a clicker, the teacher asks them multiple-choice questions (test, practice, etc.) and then the student clicks their response. The teacher and the student do not know if they are correct, but the information is sent to the computer and both class and teacher see the results. I think it's sort of polling the audience. I use white boards to ask test questions usually, but I can definitely see the potential in these clickers. The kids will like the upgraded technology and they will be a lot less messy. Their about $2,000 a set and free (to me) if I attend the training, so I can't really lose. I will let you know how it goes! Here's a link to a video on the bottom I found explaining the clickers a little better. College professors are using these because they are lecture based and are realizing the new undergraduates need more interaction. It's about time colleges started to reform their education! Most students do not learn by lecture alone!
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMubAKSt3I
A little boring, but good information!

No comments:

Post a Comment